Monday, July 16, 2007


I was talking today to someone about information literacy in further education colleges: as anyone in that area will know there is far less literature than there is about universities. I was recommending looking at the material written about IL in Australian TAFEs, so I thought I'd mention that here too. TAFE stands for Technical And Further Education and I think they are the nearest equivalent to the UK's FE colleges (someone correct me if I'm wrong). You can actually find some good material by doing a search on good old Google TAFE "Information literacy".

To pick out a couple of specific items:
Fafeita, J. (2006) "The Current Status of Teaching and Fostering Information Literacy in TAFE." Australian academic and research libraries, 37 (2), 136-162. (this reports on a survey of TAFE librarians)

LEARN Network of South Australian TAFE Libraries. (2006) Learn Information Literacy Initiative (Lili). (A tutorial)

You also might want to keep an eye on the wiki Towards a knowledge commons: modelling a transformation of library services and information resource provision in the Vocational Education Sector

Photo by Sheila Webber: Yeppoon, Australia, June 2004.

No comments: