Saturday, August 19, 2017

IL Section meeting at #WLIC2017

I'm attending the World Library and Information conference (aka the IFLA conference in Wroclaw, Poland. The main conference starts tomorrow. Today I attended my last IFLA Information Literacy Section committee as a committee member, as I have served the maximum of 8 years. Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe was elected section chair and Dilara Begum was elected Secretary, whilst Antonin Benoit Diouf remains information coordinator. Maria Carme Torres (former chair of the section and now a member of the IFLA governing board) and also Donna Scheeder (IFLA president) popped in to visit. The latter wanted to talk to us about the Global Vision programme, which has been gaining momentum through the year. I'll be blogging more about this later, as it aims to engage librarians internationally.
We discussed the section's session on Wednesday on infolit/copyright (which I will be blogging as best I can) and a proposal for a possible joint session next year focusing on research methods and approaches in transliteracy. There was also a discussion about whether there should be an infolit satellite meeting to the 2018 IFLA conference in Kuala Lumpur (I think there will).
The photo shows Sharon Mader (outgoing chair) addressing the committee members and observers (anyone can come and sit in on the committee meetings).

No comments: