Monday, March 26, 2007

Writing for publication

Writing for publication was the title of a one-hour workshop that I facilitated at the LILAC (information literacy) conference in Manchester , UK, today. It was for people who wanted to write and publish more. I set up a little wiki, using pbwiki, which houses the handouts and now also a record of points that people made at the session (my first wiki! - pictured here). I'm not sure if the wiki will continue (there will probably be a better way of "building community"), but I gave out the password so that people at LILAC could edit it if they wanted. This is where the wiki is: http://librarywriting.pbwiki.com/

2 comments:

AguaYoRodrigueZ said...

Hi. I'd like to know, why you chose to make a wiki instead of another writting system?

Sheila Webber said...

Hello, Thanks for the question. I chose a wiki because:

a) I wanted other people to be able to contribute information and ideas

and
b) I wanted the material to be arranged by theme rather than chronologically. A blog or discussion list are mainly chronological, and a discussion board or list alow you identify threads, but still are difficult to find your way round if you are looking for a specific topic.

and
c) The wiki was free and didn't take very much time to set up.

Sheila