Friday, March 29, 2013

Intersections of Scholarly Communication and Information Literacy

There is a new paper from the (US) Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Intersections of Scholarly Communication and Information Literacy: Creating Strategic Collaborations for a Changing Academic Environment. I will confess that I haven't read this yet: I tried to do a skim read of the start but I think I am still suffering from LILAC-overload, and at the moment I haven't quite worked out what exactly is meant by intersections. I will probably return to this (after I have finished catching up with LILAC - I still have a couple of posts to do).
Therefore I will just quote from the opening page that they saw the three intersections to be:
"economics of the distribution of scholarship (including access to scholarship, the changing nature of scholarly publishing, and the education of students to be knowledgeable content consumers and content creators);
"digital literacies (including teaching new technologies and rights issues, and the emergence of multiple types of non-textual content); and
"our changing roles (including the imperative to contribute to the building of new infrastructures for scholarship, and deep involvement with creative approaches to teaching)." ...
"After articulating these intersections and exploring core responses, the paper recommends four objectives, with actions for each ...The overarching recommendations are:
"integrate pedagogy and scholarly communication into educational programs for librarians to achieve the ideal of information fluency;
"develop new model information literacy curricula, incorporating evolutions in pedagogy and scholarly communication issues;
"explore options for organizational change; and
"promote advocacy."
The full text is online at http://www.acrl.ala.org/acrlinsider/archives/6970
Photo by Sheila Webber: Botanical gardens, Sheffield, March 2013

No comments: