If you have thought about doing a full or part time PhD, then I would alert you to this competitive opportunity in my department, deadline for applications 13th May. It is open to people considering any topic supervised in the Information School, but I am posting it here on the blog since I hope we might get a strong proposal in the information literacy or information behaviour field ;-)
I personally am also interested in supervising dissertations in the educational informatics area, but obviously anyone in the School can be a supervisor. You are free to discuss your proposal with a potential supervisor (including me, email@example.com) before submitting an application. This studentship is open to European Union (including UK) nationals only.
Details at http://shef.ac.uk/is/prospectivepgr/scholarship.html
"Sheffield University Information School is inviting applications from UK/EU nationals for an MPhil/PhD Fee Scholarship. There is 1 scholarship available to a suitably qualified UK/EU national to undertake MPhil/PhD research within the Information School. The Scholarship will cover the full UK/EU Tuition Fees for 3 years for Full Time students, or 6 years for Part Time students, from the initial date of registration. Applicants should note that there is no maintenance award associated with this Fee Scholarship.
Applicacants will be assessed on the following criteria:
- academic success and qualification (for example success in academic competitions, awards and/or previous assessment);
- research experience of candidate (for example evidence of publications);
- well articulated research question(s), which emphasises the importance of the research to be undertaken;
- an outline of research methods which shows awareness of the need for timely completion;
- good match with supervisor expertise and departmental research portfolio as well as department's research strategy.
Along with your application form, you should also provide 2 academic references, your academic transcripts and your research proposal."
The closing date for applications is 3:00pm on Friday, May 13th 2011."
Photo by Sheila Webber: Sheffield Botanic Gardens, March 2011