Friday, May 26, 2023

Continuing Professional Development for teaching information literacy & digital literacy #JornadasCRAI_UA

Today I gave a keynote presentation, Continuing Professional Development for teaching information literacy & digital literacy, for the conference XVIII Jornadas CRAI, taking place in Alicante, Spain. Many thanks to organisers for the invitation! This was my abstract:
The questions I address are: (1) What is it important to learn about and develop, in order to be able to develop students’ information literacy (and other literacies)? And (2) What are some ways librarians can learn and develop their ability to teach and support teaching – focusing on Continuing Professional Development? Firstly I talk about pedagogic approaches and beliefs from two aspects (1) four different ways that librarians see their teaching role (teacher-librarian, librarians who teaches, learning support, trainer) (2) What you see teaching being about – for example transmitting nformation, interacting, challenging students.
I advocate self-auditing, reflecting on where you are now and what identity and approach you aspire to. I conclude by suggesting some ways of developing your ideas about teaching and your teaching identity I then mention needing to develop your conception of information literacy y(or whatever literacy you are teaching) I propose considering what it means to you; to your employer; to academics and students in different disciplines (that you are expected to support); to other librarians. You need to update yourself on all of these and I suggest a few ways.
Moving on to design for learning, I explain that by this I mean Identifying the outcomes for learning and assessment (if any) then going back to think what students will need to learn, and what the steps are in their learning, and only then thinking about tools and techniques. I give 3 examples – Backwards Design; Universal Design for Learning; and looking at exisiting Curricula for ideas. I also give an example of designing a strategy to try and make best use of limited face to face time with students.
Since there are so many examples of using particular tools and techniques for teaching, I do not give examples, but more straight to talking about options for learning and development for learning design and using different tools and techniques for learning
Finally, I suggest three aspects that are useful for now and the future: Familiarising yourself with new tools & techniques – but then choosing the best approach & tool for the learning need; Covering IL of visual media (how to be information literate with YouTube, Instagram, charts etc.) ; Learning about generative AI.
Here are the slides. The accompanying references etc. are at https://tinyurl.com/jornadasCRAI

No comments: